Prior to the Cutover
- We will meet with each individual department to discuss the VolNet Project. Each network device (computers, printers, servers) will need to be "touched" to confirm its VolNet readiness. Each network device will need to be surveyed to assure its VolNet readiness. The VolNet survey is available online at http://volnet.utk.edu. The username and password will be provided at the individual meeting. The survey will help us to gather the information we need to get the DNS change made, as well as the entry into the DHCP table. We have hired some additional help (through Pomeroy Computer Resources) to help us with this work. They will be happy to assist you, if you require additional help.
- Ten business days prior to the cutover, we plan to test that only IP traffic is leaving and entering the building (7:00 am to 10:00 am). This will help us catch any last minute problems and allow us to resolve them before the cutover. If major problems exist, we will immediately return to routing all network traffic (IP, IPX, AppleTalk, etc) and address any issues that we find.
- Seven days prior to the cutover, we will assign the new IP addresses (160.36.x.x). Upon request these IPs will be made available to the departmental contacts.
- We will schedule the cutover from 7:00 PM to 7:00 am. There will be a network outage during this time. We will reconfigure all of the network devices at this time. All servers, printers, and computers with static entries can be changed during the network outage.
- The following morning we plan to be on-site to troubleshoot any problems that may arise.